Friday, February 24, 2006

God is Doing Mighty Things

All over the world God is doing amazing things! Many people are hearing the gospel and coming to know Jesus Christ. As I was thinking about the amazing work that God is bringing to completion all over the world, a song by Matt Redman impacted me greatly.

All Over the World
Even as the world began the stars they sang
And all the angels
Shouted for joy, shouted for joy
And looking back through history
Your people they have always had
A song they must sing, a song they must sing
We are the people of God
We'll sing Your songs here on the earth
All over the world Your song will resound
All over the world Your praises ring out
Were living to see Your name and renown
All over the world
Young and old, near and far
There's a place or ev'ry heart
To join Your song, join in Your song
Ev'ry nation, tribe and tongue
Come together join as one
Give glory to God, glory to God
All over the world Your song will resound
All over the world Your praises ring out
We're living to see Your name and renown
All over the world
Great is Your name and great will be Your song
Great is Your name and great will be Your song
We lift up our hands and pray
We lift up our hands and pray
For holy is Your name

This really shows what we live for. We live to give God glory and see His renown all over the world. I was also recently reading a newsletter from a missionary family in Papua New Guinea. They have been working with the Mibu tribe. When they arrived, there was no written language, so they had to develop the language and learn it before they could start sharing the gospel with this tribe who were lost in their disilusions concerning many things. The following is what is currently happening in the Mibu tribe.

"I walked in on a conversation the other morning that sent my hopes soaring. I had gone down to Mibu early before teaching and stopped by my friend Sesi's house. When I got to the doorway of his hut, I could hear lots of people talking. When I called out, they invited me in. About a dozen people were sitting around the fire pit earnestly discussing recent events in light of what they were learning in the Bible lessons! This, of course, put a smile on my face! The village was being threatened with sorcery by the local delinquent. He took the credit for the most recent death which he said happened by his power (the man died of TB), and said another 51 people would soon die if his demands were not met. The demand being a wife... Of course, nobody wants to give up their sister or niece or daughter to such a fate, but there was more to it than that. Now more than ever their old beliefs are in direct conflict with what they are being taught in the Bible lessons. As I sat in Sesi's hut listening to men telling each other that sorcery has no power over them, and that they should not give in to his demands because they believe what God is saying now, my stomach did flip-flops. This is it! This is what it's all about! Even where they are at now, not even knowing who the promised deliverer will be, they are choosing to side with what they know about God and His Word and His power!They asked for my opinions, but I told them that I talk all the time, and to keep on in their discussion. Truth is, I wanted to just listen. To hear our friends siding with God even when it goes against everything else they have ever learned... I will never forget the moment. When it was time for us to go down to begin teaching, I left by adding this thought. I held up a flashlight very, very close to the page of a book. Just a sliver of light showed around the edge. "This," I said, "is the small amount of light or understanding that has been given to you by the teaching of God's Word. You are choosing to trust in it, to believe it, and God will give you more light. And more. As you choose to put your belief in Him, He will increase your light" (as I held the flashlight gradually farther from the page).To those of you sharing in the journey with us, let us praise God! We are not yet to the crux of mankind's salvation, but they are allowing what they are hearing to permeate their lives and thinking. If they will just continue to choose to believe the truth, it WILL set them free!!
"...and how you turned to God from idols to serve a living and true God" (1 Thes. 1:9).

Yesterday, they sent out another newsletter that said:

The day of the beginning of the Mibu church is here!! Join us in praising our awesome God for the following people who have each professeclear testimonymony of their faith in Jesus Christ:Men: Royfo, Sesi, Kivisi, Samuel, Dopeke, Navang, Tima, Benny, Gero, Hone,Keteng, Semi, and JepiriWomen: Rao(Devit's wife), Yoonare, Eson, Nimoke, Joonoomeng,

WatikiyoRoyfo: "Thank you for telling me this! Jesus died in my place. Now I know I am going to heaven."
Sesi: (While still an unbeliever) Upon hearing about Davi's conversion said, "I'm so happy for him. Soon I will understand and believe too. Two days later, he gave a clear testimony of his own salvation. d
Kivisi: "Now I understand. It is finished. What is there to say!!"
Tima: "Just as people in the Old Testament offered animal sacrifices thinking, 'These animals are dying in my place', so I look to Jesus who died in my place."
Samuel: "Thank you for bringing this talk. May God bless you bringing this talk."There are also many others who are so very close to really understand how to it was that Jesus' death bought their forgiveness. We are overjoyed to tears at each new testimony shared with us, and expectantly watching more of the others on whom light is beginning to dawn. God's Word is very powerful!!

Having read all of these things, I have been in wonder at how awesome, amazing, wonderful, powerful, loving, amazing, and many more things, God IS. Praise Him!

2 comments:

Brent Klontz said...

WOW! What an incredible God we serve!

Heather said...

Amy,
That totally gave me chills. I think all the time about the believers and unbelievers all over the world and the work they do. That song is now stuck in my head but thanks for that. How awesome and thanks for sharing.